Roast Pumpkin, Spinach and Ricotta Pie
This super yummy pie is perfect for dinner or a weekend picnic.
It is one of my favourites so as promised here is the recipe.
There is no fiddly pastry and it creates it's own delicious golden crust as it bakes.
1/2 large (750g) butternut pumpkin, cubed
2/3 cup (160ml) olive oil
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
3 garlic cloves
100g baby spinach leaves
1/2 cup (75g) self raising flower
1 cup (120g) grated cheese
1 cup (250g) ricotta cheese
1. Preheat your oven to 200 degrees (180 fan forced). Grease your favourite baking tray for baking the pie.
2. Toss the pumpkin with 2 tablespoons olive oil and nutmeg in a bowl. Turn pumpkin onto a baking tray. Season with salt and pepper and bake for 30 mins or until roasted.
3. Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a frying pan, add onion and garlic, stir until soft. Remove from the heat and toss in baby spinach with some tongs until it has wilted a little.
4. Beat the eggs in a large bowl. Add the remaining oil and mix well. Add flour and whisk until smooth. Then stir in the grated cheese and season with salt and pepper.
5. Reduce your oven temperature to 180 degrees (160 fan forced). Toss the pumpkin through the onion mix. The spinach will wilt a little further.
6. Place half the pumpkin mixture in the base of your baking tray, then pour over half the egg mixture. Shake the tray to settle the egg around the veggies. Spoon the remaining pumpkin mixture on top, top with the remaining egg mixture. Drop dollops of the ricotta over the top. Using a spoon, burrow down a little so that the ricotta can melt into the pie.
Bake for for about 45 mins or until browned and firm in the middle :)