Curried Lentil & Coconut Soup
Serve this yummy hearty soup with lime wedges and fresh coriander. Healthy & Delicious!
- 2 tbsp coconut oil or sunflower oil
- 1 medium onion, peeled and finely diced
- 1 tbsp medium curry powder
- ¼ tsp chilli flakes
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 4cm piece fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 150g red lentils, rinsed and drained
- 400g tinned chopped tomatoes
- 25g coriander stalks cut into 2cm pieces, plus 5g picked leaves, to garnish
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 200g coconut milk
- Lime wedges, to serve
Heat the oil in a medium saucepan on a medium-high flame, then fry the onion for eight minutes, stirring often, until soft and caramelised. Add the curry powder, chilli flakes, garlic and ginger, and fry for two minutes more, stirring continuously.
Add the lentils, stir through for a minute, then add the tomatoes, coriander stalks, 600ml cold water, a teaspoon of salt and a very generous grind of pepper, and leave to heat through.
Pour the coconut milk into a bowl and gently whisk until smooth and creamy. Set aside four tablespoons – you’ll use this when serving – then tip the remaining coconut milk into the soup pot.
Bring the mixture up to a boil, turn down the heat to medium and leave to simmer gently for 25 minutes, until the lentils are soft but still hold their shape.
Divide the soup between four warmed bowls, drizzle over the remaining coconut milk, scatter the coriander leaves on top and serve with lime wedges for squeezing over.